SO MUCH GOING ON AT HOOK’S VILLAGE HALLS
With nearly 2,000 books at 50p each, adult paperback fiction and children’s books, Hook Books at the Elizabeth is going from strength to strength. We have now taken over Hall 1 too. The tea room in Hall 4 is getting so popular with homemade cake and a drink that we needed the extra space for people to have room to comfortably browse and choose their books.
The good news this month is that Tesco will be supporting the initiative. They have already given us extra crates and are sponsoring our refreshments but they will also have a satellite book shelf in store. On the third Thursday of the month from 2-4pm we will still have our regular get togethers offering the best selection of books in Hook. However, Tesco are supporting us by having a top up selection in store behind the tills so that you can drop 50p in the box and select a book when you shop. All proceeds are in support of the village halls charity.
Can you Help?
HVH has been working hard to make our already busy village halls even busier by finding activity for the halls’ least busy slots. To help with some of these ideas and the Hook Books social get together, we are looking for vintage tea sets (cups, saucers and plates and the odd tea pot) preferably colours that match in with our blue theme. If you have anything suitable you can donate please drop them off at the Elizabeth Hall.
Do you want to learn how to paint and draw?
Hook Village Halls have recently started a small fun and friendly weekly Art Class on Thursday afternoons at Elizabeth Hall which is suitable for everyone – beginners and intermediates providing a relaxed atmosphere where you can work at your own pace.
The classes are taught by Bethany Y Milam who believes that Art is for everyone.
This Art class is a two-hour class and costs £15 per class on a pay as you go basis.
If Art interests you, contact Chris Terrey: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hook Village Halls – What New Classes would you like?
In recent months, Hook Village Halls have introduced several special interest classes for the local community, including Art and Tai Chi. However, there is a lot of potential for even more new and exciting classes.
Some ideas we’ve had include:
French; German; Mindfulness; and Afternoon Tea Dances
If you are interested in attending (or running) any of these classes or have any further ideas for classes that you would like to see being run in Hook, please email email@example.com.
Hook Village Halls are vibrant hubs in the community with regular events, classes and meetings. Visit www.hookvillagehalls.org.uk for more details. In addition HVH host fantastic activities to make sure everyone has a chance to make use of the halls. Put the dates in your diaries of activity already organised for this year – more details soon on our door to door flyer.
- Every 3rd Thursday of the month Hook Books at the Elizabeth Hall – 2 – 4pm. Join us for your fiction fix plus tea, cake and a natter. Books only 50p. Watch out for more details as we expand – we’ve already got over 1500 books to choose from.
- Sunday 7th July – noon to 5pm – Hook Village Show, Hartletts Park. Visit us at our stand in the food area and enjoy some shade whilst you enter our Grand Raffle. There’s loads of superb prizes to be won whilst we raise money to provide a defibrillator at the Elizabeth Hall.
- Sunday 8th September – 2pm to 5pm – Hook Flower & Produce Show (Community Centre) in association with Hook Allotments Association and Hook in Bloom.
- Friday 27th September – 10am to Noon – Macmillan Coffee Morning (Community Centre) when the village supports the charity’s World’s Biggest Coffee Morning.
- Thursday 31st October – 2.30 to 4.30pm – Children’s Halloween Party (Elizabeth Hall), nominal charge of £1. Halloween party fun, activities and refreshments.
- Saturday 16th November – 7 to 10 pm – Quiz Night (Elizabeth Hall) Tickets £12 per team (max 6 people per team). Cash prize. Raffle. Bring your own refreshments. Book early so as not to be disappointed.
- Monday 9th & Wednesday 11th December – 4 to 5pm – Santa’s tea parties (Community Centre). £6.50 per child to include tea, Santa’s story time and gift.
- Ceilidh (Elizabeth Hall) – Saturday 15th February 2020 – 7.30 for 8pm. Enjoy a traditional Ceilidh supper and have fun dancing the night away with country dancing hosted by Sharon and Jonathan Glen. Just £25pp. Cash bar.
- Wednesday 19th February 2020 – 11.00am to 4pm – FREE Animal and Wildlife Half Term Fun (Community Centre). Bring the children along to a fun day learning all about wildlife and animals. A small charge will be made for Safari Pete.
For more information and to book contact Hook Village Halls on 01256 764000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Elizabeth Hall, Raven Road, RG27 9HH
Hook Community Centre, Ravenscroft, RG27 9NN
Due to unforeseen circumstances Hook Village Halls Charitable Association reserves the right to alter or cancel any of the above events. E&OE